Thursday, October 27, 2011

Radical Hospitality

It is easy to hospitable on your own terms. However to practice Radical Hospitality forces you out of a space where you control everything into a place where you have to accept what comes your way - unconditionally.

This is where my daily journey has taken me.  My Neighbor and her two young children have found a variety of ways to invite themselves over for lunch, dinner, snacks, and kitchen necessities (charcoal, foil, oil, etc.).  It does not matter who is here when they come over and the children seem to have no issue with taking out games/puzzles and leaving the pieces out. This is the point where you start asking questions to get a better understanding... Let me stop you there.  It doesn't rally matter because in order for me to practice Radical Hospitality, the rest just doesn't matter AND THAT'S WHAT'S SO RADICAL.

It is interesting anytime I mention the situation with my neighbors to friends.  I have not shared this story with many (blogging doesn't count) and yet I don't recall anyone being very radical in their opinion.  Very few of us who are comfortable in our living really understand the concept of true hospitality.  Most of us are very territorial when it comes to who enters our living space and how far they push the boundaries.

Here's what the art of Radical Hospitality says to me;
  • Accept people where they are not where I want them to be
  • See God in them and recognize the divinity of each living being
  • Place more value on the human experience and less on the material wealth (my things)
  • No matter how challenging the situation, unconditional love is the motivation for all I do
With this in mind, I believe the universe is abundant enough to care for all our needs and therefore I need not horde anything I currently possess!

No comments:

Post a Comment